Plan your trip to the Notting Hill Carnival area
The carnival route goes in a loop from Westbourne Park through Ladbroke Grove and Portobello Market, to end in North Kensington (about 3.5 miles)The route largely operates in a one way fashion, so be prepared to take a detour if you need to get to a specific point.
Also expect to lose your mobile phone coverage whilst in the carnival area. If you are with friends, don't lose sight of them s as you're not likely to find them until Carnival has ended. Check out our 10 survival tips for a great experience on the road.
Most underground stations situated on the carnival route operate with restrictions
Some stations are closed during the day, other are exit only. This is to manage overcrowding.
- Ladbroke Grove - Closed on Sunday 28 and Monday 29, all day.
- Holland Park - Station closed Sunday 28 and Monday 29, from 6pm each day
- Latimer Road - Station closed from 23:30 on Sunday 28 and Monday 29
- Notting Hill Gate - Closes on Sunday 28 and Monday 29, between 11am and 6pm. District; Circle trains will not stop here and the Central line will be exit only. At other times on these days, interchange will not be available between the Central line and District &; Circle lines.
- Royal Oak - Station closed on Sunday 28 and Monday 29, from 6pm. In addition, between 11am and 6pm on each of these days, the station is exit only.
- Westbourne Park - Sunday 28 and Bank Holiday Monday 29, from 11.30pm each evening, the station is closed. In addition, between 11am and 6pm on each of these days, the station is exit only.
You may consider other stations nearby
These stations are further away from the carnival route but they're worth considering as they often operate with no restrictions. (Do check before you travel)
- Kensal Rise (London Overground) - 15mn walk to north of carnival route
- Kensal Green (London Overground & Bakerloo line) - 20mn walk to north of carnival route
- Queen's Park (Bakerloo line) - 20mn walk to north of carnival route
- Wood Lane (Hammersmith & City line) - 30mn walk to south of carnival route
- Shepherd's Bush (Central line) - 20 mn walk to south of carnival route
Do plan your journey on the TfL site before making your way to the carnival area.